Monday, January 18, 2010

Becoming a Contagious Christian Book Review

Reading Report Form

Book Title: Becoming a Contagious Christian

Author: Bill Hybels & Mark Mittleberg

Synopsis of content:
This book is all about relational evangelism. The authors discuss how we clearly and effectively communicate the Gospel message of Christ to others in our daily life situations. The authors use the following formula: High Potency (HP) + Close Proximity (CP) + Clear Communication (CC) = Maximum Impact (MI).

Significant Quotes:
There is nothing in life that is as exciting as befriending, loving and leading wayward people toward faith in Christ.

Reflection:
The part of this book that struck me the most is the part about the prerequisite of high potency, the attractiveness of authenticity. This is where the authors talk about the importance of emotional authenticity, being forthright about failure, possessing the ability to recognize and experience feelings and express those feelings to others. OUCH. Something must have bit me because it stung a little when I read this. I have always had close proximity to irreligious people and I can clearly communicate my faith in Christ as easy as blinking or breathing. However, I realize now that I need to work on the area of authenticity for it does not come as easy for me as the other two elements of this formula.

I do believe the HP + CP + CC formula works, that it has the possibility of significantly influencing people’s lives for Christ. I have had the opportunity to use the Bridge Illustration and the Roman Road a few times.

I am glad that I read this book. It refreshed and reinforced things I had read or knew before but I learned some important new insights as mentioned above.

No comments:

Post a Comment