Monday, January 18, 2010

More Ready Than You Realize Book Review

Reading Report Form

Book Title: More Ready than You Realize: Evangelism as Dance in the Postmodern Matrix

Author: Brian D. McLaren

Synopsis of content:
This book is about spiritual friendships with post moderns, which the author refers to as dancing. The author urges us to “live by the music of the gospel & help others to hear it and join the dance too.”

Significant Quotes:
Careless language sabotages spiritual friendship.

Reflection:
This book reminds me of Becoming a Contagious Christian, in that it also takes a relational approach to evangelism. Something that struck me as I read this book was what the author said about careless language. I had just had a conversation with a seeker and used “lost” and “pagan” in the same conversation. Then, when the conversation was over, I sat down to read this book. No soon than I had picked up the book, I read the following: “Careless language such as “lost” and “pagan” can sabotage spiritual friendships”. The author states, “On the one hand, by using such language we can unintentionally elevate ourselves to a superior category; on the other hand, such language can degrade others-in our minds or to their ears or both.” At any rate, I will be more careful with such language in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment