Monday, January 18, 2010

The Practice of the Presence of God with Spiritual Maxims Book Review

Reading Report Form

Name of Book: The Practice of the Presence of God with Spiritual Maxims

Author: Fleming H. Revell

Synopsis of content: This book is a compilation of notes and conversations with Brother Lawrence, a Carmelite monk who lived in a Paris monastery in the 1600s, on living in the presence of God. In this book, Brother Lawrence talks about living in God’s presence continuously. In summary, the conversations with Bro Lawrence came across to me as think of God only and always, take no thought of sinners but to pray for them, live in a monastery and you will have peace.

Significant Quotes: That as for the miseries and sins he heard of daily in the world, he was so far from wondering at them, that on the contrary…for his part, he prayed for them, but knowing God could remedy the mischief, he gave himself no further trouble.

Resignation as God requires.

Reflection: I did not like this book. Even though the book contained insights on how an individual might draw closer to God, most of it focused on being close to God in a monastery type environment. In my opinion, a monastery environment is sheltered and protected and does not deal with many of the realities of life. This book sounded a little too much like Eastern meditation to me and less like living an incarnational life. I am not saying that you cannot be close to God in a tranquil, isolated environment. I am saying I think true closeness to God comes amidst the storms of life as well. Besides, in a tranquil environment such as Brother Lawrence enjoyed, how do you know whether you experience true peace from God or from living in your oblivious bubble. I also think that we are to take more thought of sinners than just to pray for them and forgetting about them. I think we are to be the love of Christ to them as much as we are able. I also disagree with him saying, “Resignation as God requires”. I think we are to surrender our lives to Christ but not resign from life. I believe Brother Lawrence hid the light of Christ and kept it instead for just himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment